Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Adventures in flying with pie

Um, so I have no excuse for not posting lately.  I think I have the case of the, "I'm still incredibly boring" again.  Welp, no biggie.  I DID go on a work trip last week to the southern part of Labrador/Quebec.  That was pretty damn awesome/pretty damn windy.  I also took some pics:
















































You may, or may not, notice that these picures are all taken from my hotel window.  When I said it was windy, I meant it.  There was one day I didn't even go outside.  And the other days involved going out the hotel to the van to go for a drive.  To a bakery to buy pie.  Which led to an adventure at the airport involving my pie, a check through security, being told I would have to pack my pie in my backpack and check it in (yeah, pie in a backpack), having to check said pie in a box, check-in at the front counter, another incredibly thorough check throught security (my friends cookies being taken away from her), and ending with the realization when I was landing at home, that they never ONCE checked my I.D.  Nada.  But, I got home, and my pie got home.  It was so-so, a little smooshed, and not super-tasty.

Despite the pie-hassle, this trip was beautiful!  The skies, coastline, and landscape are breathtaking.  I'm hoping to spend more time there this summer on our holidays.  Hopefully it won't be as windy.  And, maybe I'll pick out a tastier pie. 

6 comments:

  1. A domestic flight and fear of pie reigns supreme!! (but no ID check....go figure). Hahaha! The pie was scarier than you! Dessert more threatening than travellers! That should be an episode of some TV show (Canadian, of course, eh?)!

    Thanks for the laugh!

    :) L

    P.S. You'll never believe this, but my word verification word was "foodia"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally ridiculous, Laurie! Glad I could give you a laugh :) It does sound like the perfect Canadian episode. Small-town airport, no
    x-ray machine and a pie.

    How are you doing these days? I've been thinking about you a lot! Hope you're holding up well :)

    Steph

    Oh! And that may be the most perfect word verification ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pony, your photos are fantastic. What a sere, beautiful place! You realize, of course, you just compelled me to add another "To Visit" spot on my Someday list, right? And jeez, after all that trouble, what a shame the pie wasn't very good. Darn. ;)
    -Wren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Wren! Personally, I think everyone must visit this spot. Beware the time change though! With the short flight and short car ride we changed time twice. It was too much for my RA brain :) On our 50 minute flight, we left at 10:50, arrived at 10:40 (travelling back in time), then drove 10 minutes away to 12:20!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm JUST like you that way. Time changes during travel just twist my brains up into knots. I end up giving up on comprehending it. But I DO think it's very cool to be able to "travel back in time," even if ... um ... well ... we're really NOT? How's that go? ;o)

    Yep, Newfoundland and Labrador are definitely on my Someday list. Perhaps I'll get to meet my friend Pony, too! Wouldn't that be cool?

    Hope this finds you feeling great, with nearly all the snow melted, and with a sunny stretch of weather in the not-too-distant future. Maybe you can drive to it! And thanks for your kind thoughts about my hand. It's healing up well, and I have NO doubt at all that the well-wishes from you and our other blog friends have had a lot to do with that.
    -Wren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey!

    Just saw all the comments (wasn't notified for some reason).

    With the crazy time changes and the dangerous pies, sounds like a funny episode of something surreal like Twin Peaks! And, we should, of course, most definitely have an RA reunion! I've never been to Newfoundland/ Labrador either, so that would be fabulous! But we'll absolutely have to go on a mission to find better pie!

    :) L

    ReplyDelete