Monday, May 31, 2010

Night and Day

I'm realizing this morning, as I type slowly with my stupid wrist, that I have different types of flares dependant on the time of day.  In the beginning of all of this, there were some flares that just lasted and lasted, for days, weeks, months on end.  However, as I got my disease under control I notice that they come differently.  For example, I had a night flare last night.  I went to bed fine (some achy muscles due to a long bike ride and gardening, nothing extreme) and proceeded to wake up an unbelievable amount of time in ridiculous pain, and unable to get comfortable.  However, I know that as this day wears on, and my meds kick in, I will start to feel fine.  Tired, but in much less pain.

Then there are the day flares.  I wake up fine, then an ache starts to set in, or worse yet, it comes on sudden.  A screeching immediate pain in one joint, that then may spread throughout my body.  I get immobilized, overwhelmed and tired.  This flare may last for days, but if I can find a fairly comfy position (usually on my back, arms straight at my sides), I can sleep okay.

I've yet to find many triggers for my RA, other than stress or lack of sleep.  I can't find a food that can start a flare, or many environmental factors.  I do know for my health in general, I need to eat balanced, with lots of fruit and veggies, and get some gentle exercise.

I wonder what brings on a day flare, and what brings on a night flare?

5 comments:

  1. Man, I wish there was an answer to that question. I can't find any trigger either - not weather, not food, not alcohol. The two worst flares I've had so far, I was a bit stressed out and busy at work so maybe that brought those on? But I could just be clutching at straws here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I do have to make a correction: I do notice that when it is very windy I flare up. Weird.

    More importantly, how was Barcelona??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been able to correlate flares with any one thing in particular, either, Pony. One exception for me can be (but not always) the rise or drop of barometric pressure in advance of a change in the weather. I've learned to look at the barometer when my joints start twinging -- but it doesn't always hold up to my theory. So, who knows?

    What we DO know is that eating mindfully, getting as much sleep as possible, and moving our bodies helps us in every way, and surely can't do any harm in regards to rheuma (unless we overdo the moving part). Everything in moderation, I guess.

    I'm sorry your wrist is being stupid. I hope it decides to smarten up real soon. ;)
    -Wren

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the word "trigger" should be omitted from any disease. I find this disease needs no reason, it is what it is and there is no predicting how it will respond to any given situation. We just go through each one with resiliance and anticipation that on the other side we can smile and stand up straight against it. I suppose if we do all that is suggested it may help other areas of our bodies if not the ones afflicted eh? :) Hugs
    Tazzy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Tazzy, the word "trigger" does not hold much meaning to me! And, I do certainly want to keep as healthy as possible, in all areas, not just RA.

    Wren, my wrist has gotten much smarter, thanks! I can't pin all weather changes on flares, but cold, wet wind seems to really add to it.

    ReplyDelete